Did you know?
- The livestock sector contributes as much as 40% of GDP in many African countries
- Four of the top five agricultural commodities by value come from livestock
- In the next 20 years Africa’s demand for beef, dairy products, pork and poultry is expected to rise by between 100 and 200%
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI), CGIAR and partners are organizing a side event at this year’s Africa Agriculture Science Week (AASW) in Accra.
The side event takes place on 15 July (from 09:00am) in Executive room 4 of the Accra International Conference Centre.
It provides an opportunity to discuss how ILRI and partners support livestock sector research and development through a strategy that works in partnerships to inform practice, take livestock science solutions to scale, influence decision making and develop livestock capacities.
In-depth discussion topics include:
- Vaccine biosciences
- Biosciences eastern and central Africa (BecA)-ILRI hub
- Food safety and mycotoxins
- The biomass crisis in intensifying smallholder systems
- Risk and vulnerability in dry lands
ILRI Director General Jimmy Smith, senior management and scientists from ILRI and partners will participate. If you are in Accra for the AASW and wish to attend this side event, please send an email confirmation to Ms. Teresa Werrhe- Abira so we can manage logistics and catering: T.Werrhe-Abira@cgiar.org
ILRI and other communication staff are reporting the AASW online and will report this side event – visit the blog