On 9 and 10 November 2011, the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) Board of Trustees hosted a 2-day ‘liveSTOCK Exchange’ in Addis Ababa to discuss and reflect on livestock research for development. It was designed to contribute to the development of ILRI’s strategy in 2012 (see the current strategy). The event brought together about 130 participants from ILRI as well as from research and development partners.
The event was organized in six sessions
- Opening with a plenary presentation on ‘livestock futures.’
- Livestock and human health: – Agriculture-associated diseases; Food safety; Emerging infectious diseases; Zoonoses of neglected populations; One health … Read a report and watch a video of the panel discussion
- Livestock systems in transition: Livestock and climate change; vulnerability and pastoralism; livestock and wildlife; livestock-water, crop-livestock; feed, food, fuel … Watch video feedback from the group discussion
- Animal health and genetics: Vaccines, animal breeding, animal genetic resources, BioSciences, immunology, pathogenesis , bionformatics, genotyping … Watch video feedback from the group discussion
- Livestock market opportunities for the poor: Value chain development, demand for livestock products, market-driven uptake of livestock technologies, market access and sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) requirements … See a presentation and related issue briefs
- Livestock impact pathways: In a session on livestock impact pathways, participants discussed ways to enhance ILRI efforts on capacity development, knowledge, gender, communication, partnerships and innovation platforms. Watch video feedback from the group discussion
Besides the rich discussions, what else came out from the event?
We prepared 19 short issue briefs synthesizing our work in the various areas. Some 30 short reflections and think pieces were also contributed by staff, partners and former staff. These are all accessible on the ILRI Clippings blog – also in ‘PDF format’ in our repository.
Between the sessions, we organized three ‘hard seat’ interviews; read – and see – them here:
- Interview with Carlos Seré, former Director General of the International Livestock Research Institute.
The liveSTOCK Exchange also marked the leadership and contributions of Dr. Carlos Seré as ILRI Director General. During the meeting, Carlos reflected on his tenure saying “In some ways ILRI is very different from what it was 10 years ago; in other ways, it still is very much the same.” read the full blog post here and See photos of Carlos in this flickr set
- Read all the blog posts from the event
- Session notes of the discussions
- Summary of tweets
- Video interviews
- Audio files
- Presentations and posters
- Issue briefs
- All the outputs
- The planning wiki
This post is based on a draft prepared by Zerihun Sewunet at ILRI